How to get started traveling full-time in an RV or camper: Do your research
I have shared before how I had a spark of an idea in November 2014 that led to us traveling full-time in a pop up camper. Less than 9 months later, we moved out of the Lawrence house we had been renting and started living and traveling in our camper. We didn't have a full time residence for over 4 more years when we moved into a house in Lawrence, Kansas in October 2019 (and then very quickly moved to Wilmington, NC in November 2019 for 14 months). A LOT happened in the 9 months from idea to execution. Initially, the idea was to travel for a few months (or maybe a semester since we lived in a college town and could potentially sublease the house we were in). Initially I thought we could get a Subaru and do a lot of tent camping with the occasional rental house or state park cabin. Eventually I stumbled onto the idea of having a portable home: an RV or camper of some sort.
The internet is a lot of things but it does have a lot of inspiration for doing life differently. And thankfully, there were videos and blog posts of how people were already full-time traveling: how they got internet on the road, where they stayed, how they got their mail, how they voted. There are endless answers out there. You just have to do your research!
Places to research:
- Facebook groups (I hate referring people to Facebook as I'm trying to avoid the platform, but that's where the community discussions are happening right now.)
- Mareu Update: Summer 2021 - Posted August 11, 2021 by Bailey Mareu
- How to get started traveling full-time in an RV or camper: Do your research - Posted August 06, 2021 by Bailey Mareu
- How to get started traveling full-time in an RV or camper - Posted August 01, 2021 by Bailey Mareu
- Camping in the PNW - Posted November 01, 2018 by Bailey Mareu
- Beer and wine during our full-time travels in the PNW - Posted August 23, 2018 by Bailey Mareu