Downsizing and planning for summer 2017
I know you would think that living in a pop up camper means we wouldn’t have much to get rid of. But we’ve been back in Kansas for 6 weeks and preparing to go back on the road again. After a week in Iowa we’ll hit Colorado, Utah, Oregon and Washington. That’s through mid-August and we still haven’t determined our route back to the midwest in September.
We spent 3 months in Arizona over the winter and even though we had days in the 60s and 70s, it get’s cold in the desert at night. And some days were much more like cool spring days in the midwest than blazing summer days in the southwest sunshine. We needed pants and sweatshirts and layers. For our next 3-4 months, we don’t anticipate needing as many layers. I’m keeping an emergency pair of fuzzy socks for unexpected cold evenings in the mountains but I’m not keeping as many layers. So into our storage unit they go. Along with other items of clothing I’ve replaced or just didn’t wear often enough. We replaced our flannel sheets with cotton ones and are bringing fewer blankets.
The summer months of travel has another perk in addition warmer weather: more daylight. Longer days means less stress trying to get somewhere before 5pm because it’s 100% a pain to set up in the dark. It also means we have more light to do things! Evening hikes or rounds of disc golf will definitely mean we’re more active outdoors. We’re also going to be traveling more in the next 3 months (compared to staying in ONE place while in Arizona for 3 months). Because of these things, Phil anticipates a lot less cooking.
So, an incomplete list of things we’re moving to the storage unit:
- KitchenAid stand mixer and accessories (these things take up a LOT of space!)
- Smokey Joe Weber grill
- tub of grill accessories and charcoal
- miscellaneous clothing
- paperwork we always thought we’d need but haven’t
- glasses, mugs (I replaced my regular mug, travel mug and cup/lid for cold drinks with the Beast. It’s awesome)
What do we have left you wonder? Just the essentials, really!
For those interested, places we’ll be hitting in the next few months:
- Des Moines, IA
- Golden/Dillon, Colorado
- Ogden, Utah
- Crater Lake National Park, Oregon
- Bend, Oregon
- Hood River, Oregon
- Oregon coast (near Tillamook)
- Seattle, WA area
- Mareu Update: Summer 2021 - Posted August 11, 2021 by Bailey Mareu
- How to get started traveling full-time in an RV or camper: Do your research - Posted August 06, 2021 by Bailey Mareu
- How to get started traveling full-time in an RV or camper - Posted August 01, 2021 by Bailey Mareu
- Camping in the PNW - Posted November 01, 2018 by Bailey Mareu
- Beer and wine during our full-time travels in the PNW - Posted August 23, 2018 by Bailey Mareu